Graphic Design Specialist—ASU Gammage
Website ASU Gammage
ASU Gammage is seeking a skilled graphic design specialist to create posters, brochures, newsletters and fliers for advertising efforts and internal department projects. The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills including understanding of print and electronic advertising. This is a full-time salaried position that also works nights and/or weekends as needed for events. This position reports to the Marketing and Communications Manager and is located at the Desert Financial Arena on the Tempe Campus.
• Plan and implement ongoing mass marketing or programs for ASU Gammage events in conformity with organizational goals and objectives.
• Coordinate graphic design or layout work; designs, illustrates and prepares advertising; develops ideas, suggests new or modifies existing ideas; demonstrates graphic techniques and advises other departmental personnel on techniques and methods to use. This includes the creation of all marketing, sponsorship, social media, group sales and general ASU Gammage collateral materials including fliers, posters, banners, brochures, signage, letterheads, logos, certificates, forms, newsletters and departmental publications.
• Ensure all ASU related materials being distributed from department meet ASU brand standards.
• Support the ASU 365 Community Union and ASK Kerr team with graphic design and creation of collateral materials.
• Act as Creative Director of the ASU Gammage Inner Circle Magazine, a 32-page full color publication distributed 4 to 5 times a year.
• Work through vendors and contractors to coordinate printing and installation of large format marketing materials including banners, displays, wall art, window treatments, street signage, etc.
• Take and edit photos for use in marketing and promotional materials.
• Attends events in order to interact with public and respond to minor problems and/or questions.
• Coordinate production of television and radio advertising.
• Create electronically designed page layouts and develops web based graphics.
• Prepare sketches, renderings, drawings, cover illustrations and various artwork involving mechanical and freehand drawing and lettering.
• Forecast collateral needs, prepare printing specifications for print shop; obtain bids and recommend contract awards; maintain contact with vendors to ensure adherence to time schedules and specifications.
• Work closely with Director of Marketing and Marketing Manager to determine marketing material needs for fulfillment of their duties.
• Design and implement web pages and applications; redesigns existing web pages.
• Develop project timelines and deadlines.
• Coordinate production; proof typesetting and printing for adherence to specifications; determine if quality standards have been met.
• Maintain department inventory by ordering or requisitioning graphic art supplies and equipment according to department procedures.
• Prepare cost estimates for staff requesting graphic art services; maintain accurate records of work in progress for billing and departmental records.
• Maintain archive of printed materials.
• May coordinate and lead the work of others.
• May use a variety of desktop publishing, graphic design, web development/management and animation tools.
• Develop a personal code of conduct to help ensure our work environment is welcoming, equitable and supports our department mission and core values along with the ASU Charter.
• Coordinate special projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Desired
• Knowledge of: computer-generated graphics programs; commercial printing procedures and requirements; photo manipulation; Adobe Creative Suite software; HTML or graphics design software or other web authoring languages; and marketing and supervisory practices and principles.
• Knowledge and skill in graphic design and layout.
• Skill in: proofreading, interpreting messages into visual and metaphorical form, effective communication, both verbal and written and effectively establishing and maintaining high functioning relationships.
• Ability to drive on university business and possess a valid US driver license upon employment.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or field AND four (4) years’ experience in graphic design and/or website design; OR
• Eight (8) years’ experience in development graphic design and/or website design; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
Department Statement/General Information
ASU Cultural Affairs is comprised of three units – ASU Gammage, ASU 365 Community Union and ASU Kerr. Through the mission of Connecting Communities™, ASU Cultural Affairs makes an impact across the Valley of the Sun through the arts, entertainment, education and events.
ASU Gammage has been a top cultural destination in the Valley for more than 50 years. The Frank Lloyd Wright designed performing arts center located on the Tempe campus of Arizona State University is one of the largest university-based presenters of performing arts in the world and top touring market for Broadway. Home to the Desert Financial Broadway Across America – Arizona and Beyond series, the mission of Connecting Communities™ goes beyond the stage and programs and impacts the community through shared experiences in the arts.
ASU Cultural Affairs is committed to providing a welcoming, equitable and respectful environment for all in order to realize our mission of Connecting Communities™ through the arts, entertainment, education and events. Our core values serve as a guide for daring engagement, respectful dialogue and cross-collaboration. Learn more about our commitment and values at https://www.asugammage.com/about/asu-cultural-affairs-core-values
To learn about ASU Gammage, visit: asugammage.com/about
To learn about the ASU Charter and goals, visit: president.asu.edu/asu-mission-goals
Total compensation at ASU is more than the salary paid for the valuable work performed. You can estimate the approximate value of your overall compensation here: cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator.
You also receive the following:
• Comprehensive package of affordable health benefit plans and programs: cfo.asu.edu/benefits
• Access to world-class educational opportunities at deeply discounted rates
• Paid holiday, vacation and sick leave
• Matching retirement contributions
• Discounts from a variety of vendors and service providers for personal expenses
Posted salary: $44,200 to $47,000 annually; DOE
Close Date: September 16, 2021 at 3pm.
How to Apply: Visit cfo.asu.edu/hr-applicant and search the staff positions for 71134BR.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history. ASU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.